Sunday 22 January 2012

Simplicity 2211


Even though I said I was back sewing in JULY 2011, obviously, I wasn't really! It has taken me until now to really get my mojo back. I thought I would start off with a quick and easy project to get me going. I have this lovely wool tweed in my stash and I wanted a simple shape as the wool is quite thick.

Pattern Description: An A line skirt with belt tabs.

Pattern Sizing:multi sized

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes, though I changed the waist detail because I was working with thick fabric ( see below for details)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This is a quick and easy pattern that is really easy to wear. It came together beautifully.

Fabric Used: Wool tweed

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I pretty much sewed this straight out of the packet. The fit is certainly really good. I did change the waist because after I had sewn the petersham waistband it was too bulky to turn to the inside as you would do normally. This was largely because of the fabric I was using and the tab details, even though I used lining for the inside of the tabs, not fabric as the instructions said. So, what I did was to first sew petersham on the wrong side, then also on to the front, encasing the top of the waist ( I hope that make sense!). I love Boden clothes and I notice that quite a few of their skirts are made like this. It means there is no bulk at all at the waist.

I also put in an invisible zipper.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I want to make the view with pleats next time in a lighter fabric for spring.

Conclusion: Simple enough for a beginner and a great wardrobe builder for everyone.

Next on the cutting table:
A black Chanel jacket. It is already cut out with extra seam allowances ready for the quilting.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Very pretty! I love tweed.

katherine h said...

It looks great paired with the purple. i like the tab details.